What to Do in Establishing Paternity of a Child

What to Do in Establishing Paternity of a Child

When an unmarried couple decides to have a child together, the father must establish paternity within 72 hours after giving birth by signing a declaration of parentage or paternity. Not only will this action secure the child’s standards of living in the future, but it also allows the child to experience benefits from the parent’s medical insurance coverage and if applicable, accept any inheritance.

The declaration of parentage or paternity must be signed in any one of these public agencies (unless it has been signed at the hospital) or at any law offices that provide notarization and other legal document services in California:

  • Local child support agency
  • Registrar of birth
  • Family law facilitator or at the local superior court
  • Welfare offices

Once signed, the declaration must be filed with the California Department of Child Support Services Parentage Opportunity Program (POP) in order for it to be effective in establishing parentage without going to court. After the declaration has been filed with the court, paralegal services in Upland, California may be needed when a judge makes orders for child custody, visitation, and support.

If the father is away and cannot establish paternity, he may designate someone to act on his behalf using a power of attorney limited only to establishing paternity. It can be anyone from a trusted family member, friend, or even their legal representatives.

For more questions and clarifications about establishing a child’s paternity or any legal advice related to this, call Lyd The Worker Bee, and we’d be happy to help.

This entry was posted in Paternity and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Call or email us today

and see how Lyd The Worker Bee can help you in all family law situations.